Longus 2.7

stephen

Longus 2.7

Post by stephen » Sun 20 Jan, 2019 6:53 am

[Longus.2.7.1

[[πάνυ ἐτέρφθησαν]] [[ὥσπερ μῦθον] [οὐ λόγον] [ἀκούοντες]] [[καὶ ἐπυνθάνοντο τί ἐστί ποτε ὁ Ἔρως, πότερα παῖς ἢ ὄρνις, καὶ τί δύναται. Πάλιν οὖν ὁ Φιλητᾶς ἔφη ‘θεός ἐστιν, ὦ παῖδες, ὁ Ἔρως, νέος καὶ καλὸς καὶ πετόμενος: διὰ τοῦτο καὶ νεότητι χαίρει καὶ κάλλος διώκει καὶ τὰς ψυχὰς ἀναπτεροῖ.

[Longus.2.7.2
Δύναται δὲ τοσοῦτον ὅσον οὐδὲ ὁ Ζεύς. Κρατεῖ μὲν στοιχείων, κρατεῖ δὲ ἄστρων, κρατεῖ δὲ τῶν ὁμοίων θεῶν: οὐδὲ ὑμεῖς τοσοῦτον τῶν αἰγῶν καὶ τῶν προβάτων.

[Longus.2.7.3
[[Τὰ ἄνθη] [πάντα] [Ἔρωτος ἔργα:]]
[[τὰ φυτὰ] [πάντα] [τούτου ποιήματα:]]
[[διὰ τοῦτον] [D καὶ] [2 ποταμοὶ] [3 ῥέουσι] [D καὶ] [2 ἄνεμοι] [3 πνέουσιν.] ]
]

[Longus.2.7.4] Ἔγνων δὲ ἐγὼ καὶ ταῦρον ἐρασθέντα, καὶ ὡς οἴστρῳ πληγεὶς ἐμυκᾶτο: καὶ τράγον φιλήσαντα αἶγα, καὶ ἠκολούθει πανταχοῦ. Αὐτὸς μὲν γὰρ ἤμην νέος καὶ ἠράσθην Ἀμαρυλλίδος: καὶ οὔτε τροφῆς ἐμεμνήμην οὔτε ποτὸν προσεφερόμην οὔτε ὕπνον ᾑρούμην.

[Longus.2.7.5]
[[Ἤλγουν τὴν ψυχήν,]]
[[τὴν καρδίαν ἐπαλλόμην,]]
[[τὸ σῶμα ἐψυχόμην:]]
[[ἐβόων] [ὡς] [παιόμενος,]]
[[ἐσιώπων] [ὡς] [νεκρούμενος,]]
[[εἰς ποταμοὺς] [ἐνέβαινον] [ὡς] [καόμενος.]]

[Longus.2.7.6
[[Ἐκάλουν] [τὸν Πᾶνα] [βοηθόν,]]
[[ὡς καὶ] [αὐτὸν] [τῆς Πίτυος] [ἐρασθέντα:]]
[[1 ἐπῄνουν τὴν Ἠχὼ]]
[[1 τὸ Ἀμαρυλλίδος ὄνομα] [2 μετ̓ ἐμὲ] [3 καλοῦσαν:]]
[[1 κατέκλων τὰς σύριγγας,] [ὅτι]]
[[1 μοι] [2 τὰς] [μὲν] [2 βοῦς] [3 ἔθελγον,]
[[1 Ἀμαρυλλίδα] [D δὲ] [1 οὐκ ἦγον.]]

[Longus.2.7.7]
Ἔρωτος γὰρ οὐδὲν φάρμακον, οὐ πινόμενον, οὐκ ἐσθιόμενον, οὐκ ἐν ᾠδαῖς λαλούμενον, ὅτι μὴ φίλημα καὶ περιβολὴ καὶ συγκατακλινῆναι γυμνοῖς σώμασι.’

2.7 Daphnis and Chloe were as delighted as if they had heard some fable, and not a true story, and asked what Love was; whether it was a bird or a child, and what it could do. Philetas replied: "My children, Love is a winged God, young and beautiful. Wherefore he takes delight in youth, pursues beauty, and furnishes the soul with wings: his power is greater than that of Zeus. He has power over the elements and over the stars: and has greater control over the other Gods that are his equals than you have over your sheep and goats. The flowers are all the work of Love; the plants are his creation. He makes the rivers to run, and the winds to blow. I have seen a bull smitten with love, and it bellowed as if stung by a gadfly: I have seen a he-goat kissing its mate, and following it everywhere. I myself have been young, and was in love with Amaryllis: then I thought neither of eating nor drinking, and I took no rest. My soul was troubled, my heart beat, my body was chilled: I shouted as if I were being beaten, I was as silent as a dead man, I plunged into the rivers as if I were consumed by fire: I called upon Pan, himself enamoured of Pitys, to help me: I thanked Echo, who repeated the name of Amaryllis after me: I broke my pipes, which, though they charmed my kine, could not bring Amaryllis to me. For there is no remedy for Love, that can be eaten or drunk, or uttered in song, save kissing and embracing, and lying naked side by side."