B-Greek: The Biblical Greek Forum

ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/

Skip to content

Quick links
FAQ
Login
Register

Board index Greek Language and Linguistics Word Meanings

The two-fold and structured moieties of Koine Greek.
37 posts

Stephen Hughes

Re: The two-fold and structured moieties of Koine Greek.

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 13th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote: ↑
April 13th, 2017, 2:33 pm
Feel free to keep developing your thoughts in this thread. I'm going to drop out now, I don't think we go about things in the same way, and we seem to be at cross-purposes, so I will drop out and leave you space to explore further.

Being a devil's advocate is by definition being at cross purposes.

I don't know about continuing further. The ideas are developed already, and useful in reading, but I haven't gotten enough control of them to use them in composition.

So far as I understand it, this thread was at your request and for the specific purpose of explaining the background of my thinking that lead to the assertion that ἐστίν had moved for a specific purpose. Perhaps enough has been said already, to show that I am of the opinion that there are two speech styles present in Koine Greek, and that far from becoming a debased form of the language lacking the range of styles that Classical Greek had, there is a structured and alternating set of two speech styles, and that the abstract element comes first, and the concrete one second. So far as I can determine, γεννᾶν belongs to the abstract / general group, which puts it in the first half of the thought (thought being that verse in this case).

If it is gammatically part of the second part of the phrase, but in terms of belonging to either one of the moieties, it is a word that is known and used (exclusively collocated) with the abstract / general moiety, then it seems that in this case, the word's attraction to the first (abstract / conceptual) part of the phrase has pulled the ἐκ πνεύματος into the first position of the second (specific / concrete) part of the phrase, where an adjective should be. (In answer to the question that I assume you are asking, yes, πνεῦμα seems to belong to the second (concrete) moiety). Rather than the ἐστίν following the adjective and preceding the prepositional phrase, the attraction (based on membership of the moiety) of the adjectival preposition to the left pulls the next element into the first position of the second half of the phrase - the predicate.

I wonder if enough has been said already, that at least it can be recognised that there was a basis of reasoning for my explanation to Alan? And that basis of reasoning was based on a two-fold classification of the vocabulary of Koine (I can find the older pattern which is preserved in Koine Greek in relative phrases and after some discourse markers in Classical Greek, but not the structured alternating moieties that are so clearly in our period of the language)?

If enough has been said then this thread has served its purpose, and I can go back to thinking about the syntactic vs the lexical function of prefixed prepositions. The moieties stuff is last year's thinking and boring already.

Jonathan, have we said enough that with or without evidence or proof being presented in full or partially, and with others either understanding, partially understanding, or not understanding what I am talking about, I at least for my part can see (have found) an overal pattern in the vocabulary, or at least I make the claim that I can see (find) an overal pattern in the Koine Greek language, associating certain vocabulary elements with either of two speech styles, and that I can identify, or at least that I claim that I can identify words as belonging to one group or the other? If that at least is clear, then I think enough has been said.
0 x

Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 13th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Shirley Rollinson wrote: ↑
April 13th, 2017, 4:14 pm
toujours la politesse

I realise that he thought he was being helpful. But this thread was started to explain a skill to Jonathan, not to formulate a theory.

Finding the patterns and the words they contain is a matter of trial and error. The skill is in recognising when there are errors - not avoiding errors - and then working with the errors. I don't think there is a way to make progress with this unless there is a willingness to make errors.

What I was hoping that somebody, who was willing to try to find the same structured limitations on usage for a number of words that I am finding, could look at what is happening from the inside.

The suggestion to look at other texts produces something like the following. It is some of the data derived from the New Testament put into Diodorus Siculus. Abstract / general words are green and underlined, while concrete / specific words are red and bold. Nobody would be convinced by anything of this sort. There is not enough common vocabulary.

Diodorus Siculus, Library, 13.90 wrote:
ὁ δ᾽ Ἰμίλκας ἅμα τῷ φωτὶ τὴν δύναμιν ἐντὸς τῶν τειχῶν παρεισαγαγὼν
σχεδὸν ἅπαντας τοὺς ἐγκαταλειφθέντας ἀνεῖλεν:
ὅτε δὴ καὶ τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ναοῖς καταπεφευγότας ἀποσπῶντες οἱ Καρχηδόνιοι ἀνῄρουν.
[2] λέγεται δὲ τὸν Τελλίαν τὸν πρωτεύοντα τῶν πολιτῶν πλούτῳ καὶ καλοκἀγαθίᾳ συνατυχῆσαι τῇ πατρίδι, βουληθέντα καταφυγεῖν σύν τισιν ἑτέροις εἰς τὸ τῆς Ἀθηνᾶς ἱερόν, νομίζοντα τῆς εἰς θεοὺς παρανομίας ἀφέξεσθαι τοὺς Καρχηδονίους:
θεωροῦντα δὲ αὐτῶν τὴν ἀσέβειαν,
ἐμπρῆσαι τὸν νεὼν καὶ μετὰ τῶν ἐν τούτῳ ἀναθημάτων ἑαυτὸν συγκατακαῦσαι.
μιᾷ γὰρ πράξει διελάμβανεν ἀφελέσθαι θεῶν ἀσέβειαν, πολεμίων ἁρπαγὰς πολλῶν χρημάτων,
μέγιστον ἑαυτοῦ τὴν εἰς τὸ σῶμα ἐσομένην ὕβριν.
[3] ὁ δὲ Ἰμίλκας τὰ ἱερὰ καὶ τὰς οἰκίας συλήσας καὶ φιλοτίμως ἐρευνήσας,
τοσαύτην ὠφέλειαν συνήθροισεν ὅσην εἰκός ἐστιν ἐσχηκέναι πόλιν οἰκουμένην ὑπὸ ἀνδρῶν εἴκοσι μυριάδων,
ἀπόρθητον δὲ ἀπὸ τῆς κτίσεως γεγενημένην,
πλουσιωτάτην δὲ σχεδὸν τῶν τότε Ἑλληνίδων πόλεων γεγενημένην, καὶ ταῦτα τῶν ἐν αὐτῇ φιλοκαλησάντων εἰς παντοίων κατασκευασμάτων πολυτέλειαν:
[4] καὶ γὰρ γραφαὶ παμπληθεῖς ηὑρέθησαν εἰς ἄκρον ἐκπεπονημέναι καὶ παντοίων ἀνδριάντων φιλοτέχνως δεδημιουργημένων ὑπεράγων ἀριθμός.
τὰ μὲν οὖν πολυτελέστατα τῶν ἔργων ἀπέστειλεν εἰς Καρχηδόνα,
ἐν οἷς καὶ τὸν Φαλάριδος συνέβη κομισθῆναι ταῦρον,
τὴν δ᾽ ἄλλην ὠφέλειαν ἐλαφυροπώλησεν.
[5] τοῦτον δὲ τὸν ταῦρον ὁ Τίμαιος ἐν ταῖς ἱστορίαις διαβεβαιωσάμενος μὴ γεγονέναι τὸ σύνολον, ὑπ᾽ αὐτῆς τῆς τύχης ἠλέγχθη: Σκιπίων γὰρ ὕστερον ταύτης τῆς ἁλώσεως σχεδὸν ἑξήκοντα καὶ διακοσίοις ἔτεσιν ἐκπορθήσας Καρχηδόνα τοῖς Ἀκραγαντίνοις μετὰ τῶν ἄλλων τῶν διαμεινάντων παρὰ τοῖς Καρχηδονίοις ἀποκατέστησε τὸν ταῦρον, ὃς καὶ τῶνδε τῶν ἱστοριῶν γραφομένων ἦν ἐν Ἀκράγαντι. [6] περὶ δὲ τούτου φιλοτιμότερον εἰπεῖν προήχθην, διότι Τίμαιος ὁ τῶν πρό γε αὐτοῦ συγγραφέων πικρότατα κατηγορήσας καὶ συγγνώμην οὐδεμίαν τοῖς ἱστοριογράφοις ἀπολιπὼν αὐτὸς εὑρίσκεται σχεδιάζων, ἐν οἷς μάλιστα ἑαυτὸν ἀποπέφαγκεν ἀκριβολογούμενον. [7] δεῖ γάρ, οἶμαι, τοὺς συγγραφεῖς ἐν μὲν τοῖς ἀγνοήμασι τυγχάνειν συγγνώμης, ὡς ἂν ἀνθρώπους ὄντας καὶ τῆς ἐν τοῖς παροιχομένοις χρόνοις ἀληθείας οὔσης δυσευρέτου, τοὺς μέντοι γε κατὰ προαίρεσιν οὐ τυγχάνοντας τοῦ ἀκριβοῦς προσηκόντως κατηγορίας τυγχάνειν, ὅταν κολακεύοντές τινας ἢ δι᾽ ἔχθραν πικρότερον προσβάλλοντες ἀποσφάλλωνται τῆς ἀληθείας.

σχεδὸν - collocated with πᾶς
φιλοτίμως - based in NT usage patterns for φιλοτιμεῖσθαι.

There are not the search tools for other Koine authours freely available, to easily be able to do what can be done with the New Testament.
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 13th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Stephen Hughes wrote: ↑
April 13th, 2017, 6:06 pm
Jonathan, have we said enough that with or without evidence or proof being presented in full or partially, and with others either understanding, partially understanding, or not understanding what I am talking about, I at least for my part can see (have found) an overal pattern in the vocabulary, or at least I make the claim that I can see (find) an overal pattern in the Koine Greek language, associating certain vocabulary elements with either of two speech styles, and that I can identify, or at least that I claim that I can identify words as belonging to one group or the other? If that at least is clear, then I think enough has been said.

Yes, I think that's the status.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 13th, 2017, 6:49 pm

April 13th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Shirley Rollinson wrote: ↑
April 13th, 2017, 4:14 pm
toujours la politesse

I realise that he thought he was being helpful. But this thread was started to explain a skill to Jonathan, not to formulate a theory.

I asked that this be taken out of the beginner's thread, where it really wasn't appropriate. That's how it landed here.

We may have different ways of establishing what is true about language, and we may have different intuitions about the Greek language. If anyone else wants to pursue this with you, they should feel free to.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 24th, 2017, 8:14 pm
Well, if somebody is willing to pick up utensils and ingredients and to try to cook as well, or is willing test drive from the front seat, behind the steering wheel, I'm willing to go on with this, so long as we do not visit the point of "you need to prove to me (us) that you are not wrong". On ethical grounds, I refuse and have consistently refused to give creedence or ground to that way of thinking that led us into eight and a half years of unjust war.

A few observations before discussing one of Levinsohn's examples:

● The verb τολμᾷν occurs in both speech styles. When it is in the abstract / general context, the person "daring" is in the company of others, and when it is in the concrete / specific speech style, it refers to a person alone / in and of themselves. Putting those contexts into glosses for the sake of foreign language speakers, the abstract moiety meaning of τολμᾷν might be "to risk public shame", and the concrete moiety meaning of τολμᾷν might be simply "to have courage in one's heart".

● In its two NT occurences, ἐξετάζειν belongs to the concrete / specific speech style.

In regard to an example from Levinsohn's split constituents, he is apparently unaware of the dual speech styles in both Classical and Koine Greek, so let me contextualise the example in terms of speech styles.

In Classical Greek, as in the example below, the first part of the sentence is in abstract / general speech style. This then develops in the Koine into alternating full phrases, as discussed earlier in this thread. Now the example:

John 21:12 wrote:
Οὐδεὶς δὲ ἐτόλμα τῶν μαθητῶν ἐξετάσαι αὐτόν, Σὺ τίς εἶ;

That word order - splitting the ἐτόλμα from the ἐξετάσαι - makes sure that we realise that the τολμᾷν there belongs to the abstract / general speech style, with the meaning "dare in front of others", "risk loss of face", and not part of the concrete / specific speech style, where it might have meant "personally have courage in one's heart". Another way to make the break between speech styles clear would be to clearly place the ἐξετάσαι in the concrete / specific speech style by moving αὐτόν in front of ἐξετάσαι, which would be Οὐδεὶς δὲ τῶν μαθητῶν ἐτόλμα αὐτόν ἐξετάσαι*. Doing that would also make it clear that the change of speech styles occurs between the two verbs. Another way of thinking about it is that is something like couching the verbs between other elements in the speech style, to make it clear where the elements belong.

There are a great many more examples of infinitives clearly moved into the other speech style by separating it with several other elements, than are given in the list the Jonathan has published from Levinsohn in the other thread. But let me say again that if one comes from a classical background, it is understandable that the dual vocabulary moieties could have escaped notice in Classical Greek studies, because they occur patterned within much shorter phrases. It is in the Koine that they become more evident, because they are evident in alternating whole (grammatically complete) phrases too.

[Let me add that 1 Corinthians 11:21 is an interesting use of τολμᾷν. Κατὰ ἀτιμίαν λέγω, ὡς ὅτι ἡμεῖς ἠσθενήσαμεν· ἐν ᾧ δ’ ἄν τις τολμᾷ — ἐν ἀφροσύνῃ λέγω — τολμῶ κἀγώ. I am not sure whether to take ἐν ᾧ δ’ ἄν τις τολμᾷ as part of whch moeity. Presumably since it is in a relative clause, and it is clearly separated by ἐν ἀφροσύνῃ λέγω from the phrase that follows, it is in the "risk public shame" meaning, while Paul's statement is in the "have courage in one's heart" meaning.]
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 25th, 2017, 10:47 am
In regards to Matthew 8:9 in the list of Levinsohn's split constituents that Jonathan has published. I would like to include a post I made in the Matthew 1:20 thread.

April 2nd, 2017, 3:11 pm

Alan Bunning wrote: ↑
April 2nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

April 2nd, 2017, 12:00 pm
Is it [τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν] is [ἐκ πνεύματός ἐστιν ἁγίου] where the participle is an articular participle, or is it [τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ] is [γεννηθὲν ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου] where the participle is used adjectivally, do you think?

I am not sure. But in either case, I still don't like the verb being where it is, as it seems to set apart "ἁγίου".

I get you point about it being set apart. We can discuss that, but it will take a bit of patience to understand.

In your translation "begotten in her", it seems you have grouped the words as in:

[τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν] is [ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου]

I am inclined to take it as divided the other way:

[τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ] is [γεννηθὲν ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου]

"That which is in her is decended (traces its geneology) from the Holy Spirit."

To see how the structure is built up, have a look at these explanatory phrases:

Matthew 26:73 wrote:
καὶ γὰρ ἡ λαλιά σου δῆλόν σε ποιεῖ.
for your speaking gives you away

Mark 14:70 wrote:
καὶ γὰρ Γαλιλαῖος εἶ
for you are a Galilean too

The verb "to be" is at the end, after the complement.

Now have a look at what happens when a prepositional phrase is added:

Matthew 8:9 wrote:
Καὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ ἄνθρωπός εἰμι ὑπὸ ἐξουσίαν, ἔχων ὑπ’ ἐμαυτὸν στρατιώτας·
for I am a man under authority too, with soldiers under myself

Romans 11:1 wrote:
Καὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ Ἰσραηλίτης εἰμί, ἐκ σπέρματος Ἀβραάμ, φυλῆς Βενιαμίν.
for I am an Israelite too, from the lineage of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin

The verb "to be" now appears to be in the middle of the complement. This shows us where in Matthew 1:20 the ἐστιν has moved from.

The way that only the article is in front of the γάρ can be seen in this example:

1 Corinthians 9:2 wrote:
ἡ γὰρ σφραγὶς τῆς ἐμῆς ἀποστολῆς ὑμεῖς ἐστε ἐν κυρίῳ.
You are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

Putting those points together, we can say that "canonically" (according to the rules of composition) it would be expected to be τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθέν ἐστιν ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου*. The question is why is it not that.

In all of these examples that we have just looked at the subject is a more abstract idea than the complement. That is to say that there is clear distinction between abstract concepts and concrete ones and that distinction is alligned with the grammar. Here is a discussion of that.

ἡ λαλιά is speech without the concrete idea of actual words, while δῆλον "disclosed", "evident" describes what is right in front of somebody's eyes, and συ "you" is a tangible person.
Here ἡ σφραγὶς is metaphorical, and ἀποστολή "apostleship", "missionary endeavour", while ὑμεῖς "you" are tangible people.

In Matthew 1:20, τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν ἐκ πνεύματός ἐστιν ἁγίου”, γεννηθὲν is in the complement, but it is the abstract idea of descent rather than "giving birth" as one might expect. γεννηθὲν moves according to rules of word order, rather than grammar, it moves to the left, the abstract side of the verb "to be", in moving, it takes the ἐκ πνεύματός with it.

That inadvertantly leaves the ἐστιν between a noun and its adjective.

If the verb had been one like κυόμενον "conceived" a concrete tactile word, rather than the more abstract γεννηθέν "beget", "be the father (not only biological) of", then there would not be a discordance between the degree of abstraction in the beginning and end of the text and the grammatical structure, and hence no need to move the ἐστιν.

There is nothing unusual about the word order of ὑπὸ ἐξουσίαν in the verse. It is in the expected position for a prepositional phrase.

Have a look at the pattern of speech styles for those verses apartfrom tne one in question. So, let's take verses 7 - 9:
Καὶ λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς,
[Part of the story-telling structure.]
Ἐγὼ ἐλθὼν θεραπεύσω αὐτόν
[This is an example of the moieties arranged consecutively in one phrase - the older "Classical" style. ἐλθεῖν is a common abstract / general moiety only word, and θεραπεύειν is common concrete / specific moiety only word, so there is no need to be careful with word order details to make it clear whether the abstract / general meaning is meant, or the concrete specific one].
8 Καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς ὁ ἑκατόνταρχος ἔφη,
[This common formulaic structure (with a few varients, follows the progression from abstract / general "took into account what was said / happened then made a response" to concrete / specific "said these actual words". As happens in cases like this, the ὁ ἑκατόνταρχος finds itself somewhere in the flow of transition between the moieties]
Κύριε, οὐκ εἰμὶ ἱκανὸς ἵνα μου ὑπὸ τὴν στέγην εἰσέλθῃς· ἀλλὰ μόνον εἰπὲ λόγῳ, καὶ ἰαθήσεται ὁ παῖς μου.
[We know that the abstract / general moiety comes first, and we know that ἔρχεσθαι is single moiety abstract / general, so this us being used here to more-or-less mark off the end of the first speech style. ἰάεσθαι is a concrete / specific moiety only word.]
9 Καὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ ἄνθρωπός εἰμι ὑπὸ ἐξουσίαν, ἔχων ὑπ’ ἐμαυτὸν στρατιώτας·
[See the imported quote above.]
καὶ λέγω τούτῳ, Πορεύθητι, καὶ πορεύεται· καὶ ἄλλῳ, Ἔρχου, καὶ ἔρχεται· καὶ τῷ δούλῳ μου, Ποίησον τοῦτο, καὶ ποιεῖ.
[The abstract / general speech style here is structured grammatically with τούτῳ ... καὶ ἄλλῳ. The three words here - ἔρχεσθαι, πορεύεσθαι and ποιεῖν - are all single moiety words, so they don't need special word order constructions to make their meaning moieties clear.]
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » May 5th, 2017, 2:40 pm
Sorry to ask an obvious question so late, but is it generally recognised that there are two speech styles in Greek? When I explain my observation that there are vocabulary sets for each of the speech styles, am I building on existing knowledge, or should I be pointing out the speech styles too. I saw the posting on split focus and assumed that the dual speech styles were familiar enough, even if not known in that way. Apart from understanding how the moieties work in subordinate and relative clauses, Paul seemed to get the speech styles easily enough, if not tne moietied. The dual speech styles of Greek are pretty obvious, right, or is this another οὐκ οἶδα τι λέγεις topic? I wonder whether I walked too fast here?

Both the dual speech styles and their associated vocabulary are such basic features of the language, I'm sure they will come up again soon if people are not ready for them yet.
0 x
37 posts

Return to “Word Meanings”

Board index
All times are UTC-04:00
Delete all board cookies
The team
Contact us

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
GZIP: Off

stephen

Re: moieties

Post by stephen » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 2:54 pm

B-Greek: The Biblical Greek Forum

ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/

Skip to content

Quick links
FAQ
Login
Register

Board index Greek Language and Linguistics Word Meanings

The two-fold and structured moieties of Koine Greek.
37 posts

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 11th, 2017, 7:45 am

April 11th, 2017, 4:34 am
I was expecting to be asked what I meant by "inadequate", when I said that current lexical resources are inadequate. In the absence of a question, let me answer an unspoken one...

To be able to compose or speak according to an authentic style system, then it would be really handy for us to have;
ἀλείφειν (spec. vs abstr. χρίειν)

somewhere at least in an entry, so that we can choose the right one to use.

First I think you would need to clearly demonstrate that this is lexically determined in Greek, and not determined by other factors. So far, I don't know what I would look for to prove whether this is true - what results would invalidate the theory, and what results would prove it true? Once you have that kind of research hypothesis, you can see if it's true, and then propose it for the lexicons.

For instance, if ἀλείφειν is specific and χρίειν is abstract, are there specific contexts in which one should occur but not the other?

I think it's a little early to criticize the lexicons at this point.
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm

April 11th, 2017, 7:45 am

April 11th, 2017, 4:34 am
I was expecting to be asked what I meant by "inadequate", when I said that current lexical resources are inadequate. In the absence of a question, let me answer an unspoken one...

To be able to compose or speak according to an authentic style system, then it would be really handy for us to have;
ἀλείφειν (spec. vs abstr. χρίειν)

somewhere at least in an entry, so that we can choose the right one to use.

First I think you would need to clearly demonstrate that this is lexically determined in Greek, and not determined by other factors. So far, I don't know what I would look for to prove whether this is true - what results would invalidate the theory, and what results would prove it true? Once you have that kind of research hypothesis, you can see if it's true, and then propose it for the lexicons.

I can't for the life of my imagine why the issue of reasearch has come up again? I live in functioning but underdeveloped area of the world. There are no research libraries here. I don't see this phenomenon as some kind of theory. It is a skill in reading and composition. There is no exhaustive dataset. With some training and practice, it is really pretty easy to spot the patterns of general statements and specific ones. After reading extensively over a long period of time, while recognising the patterns, it is obvious that some words only occur in one or other of the two moieties. Where is there any theory in that? It is a practical skill and simple observation.

As I have said earlier, there are some words that change their meaning or sense according to context, such as κλήρος. There is a general or abstract meaning when it is used in general or abstract contexts and a concrete meaning when used in concrete contexts. Lexica give this information now, but don't specifically point out the context in which those meaning occur.

What lexicographer is going to give due consideration to any proposals that I make? If I send a letter to a publisher that their house should include such and so, I wouldn't expect even to get a reply, and if I did, it would be, "We have no idea what you are talking about". There are not enough people doing composition to warrant inclusion of material that would be useful for composition.

For instance, if ἀλείφειν is specific and χρίειν is abstract, are there specific contexts in which one should occur but not the other?

Yes. There are. Χρίειν occurs at the beginning of thoughts, much like the word ἀποστέλλειν does. Like πέμπειν too, ἀλείφειν also occurs at the end of thoughts. Sometmes thoughts cover many phrases and at other times they are contained in a single phrase.

The most definite thing that can be said from these observations is that when one composes, one has to limit the use of specific or general words to their respective speech style, and abstract or general style comes before the concrete.

I think it's a little early to criticize the lexicons at this point.

I hope that I could get some criticism and suggestion on this idea from someone who has already thought through some issues like this, or who enjoys engaging with new ideas. Understandably, the forum lacks skilled moderation in the areas that I am generally interested in. Comments made from within the learning process, or the aclimatisation period that human beings have for new ideas are fairly predictable enough, but not of great value.

Jonathan, if you try working with this, it might be useful in your understanding of the text. This is a skill that one needs time to develop.
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm

April 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yes. There are. Χρίειν occurs at the beginning of thoughts, much like the word ἀποστέλλειν does. Like πέμπειν too, ἀλείφειν also occurs at the end of thoughts. Sometmes thoughts cover many phrases and at other times they are contained in a single phrase.

I'm not sure how to identify the boundaries of a "thought". Here are the places I see these words used in the GNT.

Luke.4.17 καὶ ἐπεδόθη αὐτῷ βιβλίον τοῦ προφήτου Ἠσαΐου καὶ ἀναπτύξας τὸ βιβλίον εὗρεν τὸν τόπον οὗ ἦν γεγραμμένον· Πνεῦμα κυρίου ἐπ’ ἐμέ, οὗ εἵνεκεν ἔχρισέν με εὐαγγελίσασθαι πτωχοῖς, ἀπέσταλκέν με κηρύξαι αἰχμαλώτοις ἄφεσιν καὶ τυφλοῖς ἀνάβλεψιν, ἀποστεῖλαι τεθραυσμένους ἐν ἀφέσει, κηρύξαι ἐνιαυτὸν κυρίου δεκτόν.

Acts.4.27 συνήχθησαν γὰρ ἐπ’ ἀληθείας ἐν τῇ πόλει ταύτῃ ἐπὶ τὸν ἅγιον παῖδά σου Ἰησοῦν, ὃν ἔχρισας, Ἡρῴδης τε καὶ Πόντιος Πιλᾶτος σὺν ἔθνεσιν καὶ λαοῖς Ἰσραήλ, ποιῆσαι ὅσα ἡ χείρ σου καὶ ἡ βουλὴ προώρισεν γενέσθαι.

Acts.10.36 τὸν λόγον ὃν ἀπέστειλεν τοῖς υἱοῖς Ἰσραὴλ εὐαγγελιζόμενος εἰρήνην διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ· οὗτός ἐστιν πάντων κύριος. ὑμεῖς οἴδατε τὸ γενόμενον ῥῆμα καθ’ ὅλης τῆς Ἰουδαίας, ἀρξάμενος ἀπὸ τῆς Γαλιλαίας μετὰ τὸ βάπτισμα ὃ ἐκήρυξεν Ἰωάννης, Ἰησοῦν τὸν ἀπὸ Ναζαρέθ, ὡς ἔχρισεν αὐτὸν ὁ θεὸς πνεύματι ἁγίῳ καὶ δυνάμει, ὃς διῆλθεν εὐεργετῶν καὶ ἰώμενος πάντας τοὺς καταδυναστευομένους ὑπὸ τοῦ διαβόλου, ὅτι ὁ θεὸς ἦν μετ’ αὐτοῦ·

2Cor.1.21 ὁ δὲ βεβαιῶν ἡμᾶς σὺν ὑμῖν εἰς Χριστὸν καὶ χρίσας ἡμᾶς θεός, ὁ καὶ σφραγισάμενος ἡμᾶς καὶ δοὺς τὸν ἀρραβῶνα τοῦ πνεύματος ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις ἡμῶν.

Heb.1.9 διὰ τοῦτο ἔχρισέν σε ὁ θεός, ὁ θεός σου, ἔλαιον ἀγαλλιάσεως παρὰ τοὺς μετόχους σου·

Matt.6.17 σὺ δὲ νηστεύων ἄλειψαί σου τὴν κεφαλὴν καὶ τὸ πρόσωπόν σου νίψαι, ὅπως μὴ φανῇς τοῖς ἀνθρώποις νηστεύων ἀλλὰ τῷ πατρί σου τῷ ἐν τῷ κρυφαίῳ·

Mark.6.12 Καὶ ἐξελθόντες ἐκήρυξαν ἵνα μετανοῶσιν, καὶ δαιμόνια πολλὰ ἐξέβαλλον, καὶ ἤλειφον ἐλαίῳ πολλοὺς ἀρρώστους καὶ ἐθεράπευον.

Mark.16.1 Καὶ διαγενομένου τοῦ σαββάτου Μαρία ἡ Μαγδαληνὴ καὶ Μαρία ἡ τοῦ Ἰακώβου καὶ Σαλώμη ἠγόρασαν ἀρώματα ἵνα ἐλθοῦσαι ἀλείψωσιν αὐτόν.

Luke.7.37 καὶ ἰδοὺ γυνὴ ἥτις ἦν ἐν τῇ πόλει ἁμαρτωλός, καὶ ἐπιγνοῦσα ὅτι κατάκειται ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ τοῦ Φαρισαίου, κομίσασα ἀλάβαστρον μύρου καὶ στᾶσα ὀπίσω παρὰ τοὺς πόδας αὐτοῦ κλαίουσα, τοῖς δάκρυσιν ἤρξατο βρέχειν τοὺς πόδας αὐτοῦ καὶ ταῖς θριξὶν τῆς κεφαλῆς αὐτῆς ἐξέμασσεν, καὶ κατεφίλει τοὺς πόδας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἤλειφεν τῷ μύρῳ.

Luke.7.46 ἐλαίῳ τὴν κεφαλήν μου οὐκ ἤλειψας· αὕτη δὲ μύρῳ ἤλειψεν τοὺς πόδας μου.

John.11.2 ἦν δὲ Μαριὰμ ἡ ἀλείψασα τὸν κύριον μύρῳ καὶ ἐκμάξασα τοὺς πόδας αὐτοῦ ταῖς θριξὶν αὐτῆς, ἧς ὁ ἀδελφὸς Λάζαρος ἠσθένει.

John.12.3 ἡ οὖν Μαριὰμ λαβοῦσα λίτραν μύρου νάρδου πιστικῆς πολυτίμου ἤλειψεν τοὺς πόδας τοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ ἐξέμαξεν ταῖς θριξὶν αὐτῆς τοὺς πόδας αὐτοῦ·

Jas.5.14 ἀσθενεῖ τις ἐν ὑμῖν; προσκαλεσάσθω τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους τῆς ἐκκλησίας, καὶ προσευξάσθωσαν ἐπ’ αὐτὸν ἀλείψαντες αὐτὸν ἐλαίῳ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι τοῦ κυρίου·
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 11th, 2017, 3:36 pm

April 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm

April 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm
at the beginning of thoughts,

I'm not sure how to identify the boundaries of a "thought".

The terminology is not set yet. The B-Greek past-time of quibbling over terminology and classifications will have to wait for a while.

April 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm
Here are the places I see these words used in the GNT.

Try to work with the data you've gotten together. I suggest that you organise them a bit as you work with them. Take some risks - civilised people are not going to criticise you for trying something new.
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm
I didn't think these examples show that Χρίειν always occurs at the beginning of thoughts, or that ἀλείφειν always occurs at the end of thoughts.
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 11th, 2017, 11:15 pm

April 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm
I didn't think these examples show that Χρίειν always occurs at the beginning of thoughts, or that ἀλείφειν always occurs at the end of thoughts.

All the examples you've put up are okay, except Luke 7:46, which needs its antecedent verse to be quoted too.

Beginning + End = Whole. We are talking about a two part system. It is much simpler than you are perhaps looking for. It is like the example at the very start of this thread:

April 3rd, 2017, 2:45 pm
Greek typically reads like this:

Amenities are provided for customers' convenience. You can piss, shit and spit there.

To substitute, χρίειν with 'customer', I would have said, "We know that 'customer' always occurs at the beginning of thoughts." Another way to say that is to point out that Koine authours are limited to using 'customer' only in the abstract / general speech style. Yet another way is to say that 'customer' is an indication that the proximity - in some cases on just one side, and in other cases on both sides - is the abstract / general moiety.

Relative clauses and clauses following some discourse markers are parenthetical.

[What I suspect is happening with relative phrases behaving like they do, is that they are preserving a possible earlier form of usage, from before the speech styles were divided on Platonic ideas vs forms thinking into the way we see them in the Koine Greek lexical set. That is to say that what I expect to find in Greek that has not been structured with an hellenistic idea vs forms structure is single phrases moving from abstract to concrete. That is why I used "thoughts" rather than "texts" or "speech acts". To speak of that further, by abstracting the lexical data based on what is clearly evident in that part of Greek that is divided into moieties, and then feeding that data back into word-order problems in relative clauses and phrases following some discourse markers produces some beautiful and interesting patterns too.]

The first steps in recognising the moieties that you are struggling with now, are actually the very simple part of the pattern. What is more difficult is to understand how the vocabukary evolved to the point that we see it in the Koine texts. Questions like what are the origins or lineages of individual words, are facinating.

For your above examples, you could do something like this...

Given the thought, "Amenities are provided for customers' convenience. You can piss, shit and spit there." mark the division between the abstract and the concrete with a line, or use two contrastive colours to highlight the beginning of the thought with one and the end with the other.

In the English it is easy because the word-stock developed into registers to mark and confirm social class distinctions in post-Norman society. English has the habit of using one register or the other in extended texts. That is similar to the Classical Greek genres, with their distinctive vocabularies for prose and verse. Greek of our period, at least, is not like that. It alternates between the abstract/general and concrete moieties, expressing that ideas could become forms, and that God could become man.

Jonathan, would you like to try to divide your examples now? Be confident, you can do it.
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 12th, 2017, 8:08 am

April 11th, 2017, 11:15 pm

April 11th, 2017, 5:42 pm

All the examples you've put up are okay, except Luke 7:46, which needs its antecedent verse to be quoted too.

Then I do not see how you are dividing this up.

April 11th, 2017, 11:15 pm
Jonathan, would you like to try to divide your examples now? Be confident, you can do it.

I think this is your project, not mine. I was trying to provide data that could help you state your theory more concretely and see if it holds or not. My intuition for where thoughts begin and end places some of these words in places you said they would not occur. But I don't know how you are dividing up the text, or what counts as the beginning or the ending of a thought.

I think you've done a first step where you see some patterns in a text. Are those patterns lexically determined according to the principle you suggest, or due to something else? To answer that question, I think you need a clear enough way to state your principle that you can look at any text, divide it up, and test it. Once you have done that to enough examples, other people can look at your work and see if they agree with your conclusions.
0 x

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » April 12th, 2017, 11:32 pm

April 12th, 2017, 8:08 am

If you are not willing to make mistakes based on your current knowledge (ignorance) and be corrected, then I'm not interested in teaching you.

I think this is your project, not mine.

Project? Recognising which speech style a word belongs to is not a (research) project. It is a skill that develops with practice.

I was trying to provide data that could help you state your theory more concretely and see if it holds or not. My intuition for where thoughts begin and end places some of these words in places you said they would not occur. But I don't know how you are dividing up the text, or what counts as the beginning or the ending of a thought.

I understand you put effort into that. Actually, I did the same search, and looked at the same set of verses before mentioning χρίειν and ἀλείφειν.

Jonathan Robi-e wrote: ↑
I think you've done a first step where you see some patterns in a text.

I am not at the first step in understanding this, you were.

As I said before, seeing patterns in the text is the third step. The first step is engaging with the text. The second step is recognising over a long period of time that the speech style of the text alternates between abstract / general statements and descriptions of details / concrete tangible things. The third step is that over continued wide reading, it is noticeable that some words only occur in one of the speech styles or the other, and some in both speech styles but with different meanings.

Are those patterns lexically determined according to the principle you suggest, or due to something else?

I was engaging with you because I thought you wanted to learn how, not proving anything to you.

Of course it is not only lexically determined. Greek is an inflected language. There are ways that words can be used in the other moiety (speech style), by using appropriate grammatical strategies. I stated that in the initial pseudo-Greek example ("are provided" - although that is not a strictly true representation of the way that voice is used in Greek within and between the moieties, but more of an allusion to the fact that it is used in some way).

To answer that question, I think you need a clear enough way to state your principle that you can look at any text, divide it up, and test it. Once you have done that to enough examples, other people can look at your work and see if they agree with your conclusions.

This is not reasearch, there are no principles or conclusions. I don't need to state anything to be able to "look", "divide" and "test". It is a skill and it takes practice. In the initial pseudo-Greek example:

Amenities are provided for customers' convenience. You can piss, shit and spit there.

you didn't look, divide and test to recognise speech-styles. Why would you do that in Greek?
0 x

Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie » April 13th, 2017, 2:33 pm
Feel free to keep developing your thoughts in this thread. I'm going to drop out now, I don't think we go about things in the same way, and we seem to be at cross-purposes, so I will drop out and leave you space to explore further.
0 x

Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson » April 13th, 2017, 4:14 pm

April 12th, 2017, 11:32 pm

If you are not willing to make mistakes based on your current knowledge (ignorance) and be corrected, then I'm not interested in teaching you.

I think this is your project, not mine.

Project? Recognising which speech style a word belongs to is not a (research) project. It is a skill that develops with practice.

I was trying to provide data that could help you state your theory more concretely and see if it holds or not. My intuition for where thoughts begin and end places some of these words in places you said they would not occur. But I don't know how you are dividing up the text, or what counts as the beginning or the ending of a thought.

I understand you put effort into that. Actually, I did the same search, and looked at the same set of verses before mentioning χρίειν and ἀλείφειν.

Jonathan Robi-e wrote: ↑
I think you've done a first step where you see some patterns in a text.

I am not at the first step in understanding this, you were.

As I said before, seeing patterns in the text is the third step. The first step is engaging with the text. The second step is recognising over a long period of time that the speech style of the text alternates between abstract / general statements and descriptions of details / concrete tangible things. The third step is that over continued wide reading, it is noticeable that some words only occur in one of the speech styles or the other, and some in both speech styles but with different meanings.

Are those patterns lexically determined according to the principle you suggest, or due to something else?

I was engaging with you because I thought you wanted to learn how, not proving anything to you.

Of course it is not only lexically determined. Greek is an inflected language. There are ways that words can be used in the other moiety (speech style), by using appropriate grammatical strategies. I stated that in the initial pseudo-Greek example ("are provided" - although that is not a strictly true representation of the way that voice is used in Greek within and between the moieties, but more of an allusion to the fact that it is used in some way).

To answer that question, I think you need a clear enough way to state your principle that you can look at any text, divide it up, and test it. Once you have done that to enough examples, other people can look at your work and see if they agree with your conclusions.

This is not reasearch, there are no principles or conclusions. I don't need to state anything to be able to "look", "divide" and "test". It is a skill and it takes practice. In the initial pseudo-Greek example:

you didn't look, divide and test to recognise speech-styles. Why would you do that in Greek?

toujours la politesse
0 x
37 posts

Return to “Word Meanings”

Board index